When I was a little girl, I believed in fairy tales... that fantasy of what life would be. White dress, a prince charming who would carry me away to a castle on a hill. I would lie in bed at night and close my eyes and had complete and utter faith. Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, Prince Charming, they were so close I could taste them, but one day the fairy tale disappeared. It's hard to let go of that fairy tale entirely because we all have that smallest bit of hope, of faith, that one day we will open our eyes and it will come true. Then one day you realize that the fairy tale may be slightly different than you dreamed. The castle, well, it may not be a castle. This life, with all of its complexities, may be the fairy tale after all, because the journey is the best part. It's Happily Ever After...right now.

Monday, September 28, 2009

Forkin' the road

Given the chance, what choices would you make differently- Education? Career? Relationships? Knowing what you know now, would you make the same choices?

Would I have moved to Colorado?
Hardest decision of my life, and I was far too young to make it by myself. I've learned to "toughen up" as my Dad told me to; I made a lot of friends; raised my sons in a healthy, beautiful place; and met the most wonderful man after more than 2 1/2 decades. Probably best that at the beginning of the journey, I had no idea how rocky the road from then until now would be.

Would I have filed for divorce?
Yes. I know that it caused the boys a tremendous amount of hurt. However, they've become men of integrity and I'm confident that wouldn't have been the case had I stayed married. 'Nuf said.

Would I have let Jacob move to Illinois?
No. At least, I would have strongly discouraged it. He was seeking the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, while trying to run from a scarred relationship with his dad. I would have been an advocate of his taking a semester off school to travel, but I should have lobbied harder for him to stay in Colorado.

Lots of "what ifs" and "would I's" are bouncing around my head. I can philosophize all day about what could have been. But- my sons are good people. I'm going to be a grandma in a matter of days. I have a home and an income and I talk to my sister every day. I have Ya-Ya's and Colorado snowstorms. I shop for what I want and then have buyer's remorse with every purchase. I have a w(h)ining friend. Every day I laugh. And every day is more certainty that the choices I made brought me to this place. And I'm thankful for every one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment